top of page
Barley Fields

– Child & Adult Protective Services/Child Welfare Services –

WPHS is responsible for the safety, permanency and well-being of children throughout Grant and Pope Counties.
When a report of child maltreatment, abuse and/or neglect is received, our department screens those reports to determine whether or not they meet the necessary criteria to be investigated.

Click here for: Adult Protection County Prioritization Guidelines 

1-800-291-2827 or (320) 634-7755

1-800-291-2827 or (218) 685-8200

LE = Law Enforcement

  • Grant County Sheriff’s Office:218-685-8280

  • Pope County Sheriff’s Office: 320-634-5411 

  • Glenwood Police Department: 320-634-4518

  • Starbuck Police Department: 320-239-2311

  • Traverse County Sheriff’s Office: 320-422-7800

  • Wheaton Police Department: 320-422-7700

To report suspected child abuse or neglect, contact any of the WPHS Offices or local Law Enforcement:

Holding Hands

There are two approaches in dealing with reports of child maltreatment:
Family Assessment Response and/or a Child Protection Investigation.


If the report is eligible for a Family Assessment Response, the worker meets with the family to examine the safety
and risk factors of the children and develops a plan with the family to address any identified issues of concern regarding safety, permanency and well-being of the children.


If the report is eligible for a Child Protection Investigation, a child protection worker will contact the family and conduct interviews with the child/ren and parent/s to determine if they are in need of any services our agency has to offer. If there are services that are deemed necessary and the family is cooperative, a case plan will be developed.


Case management will continue until the family has achieved the goals outlined in the plan. In cases where the family is uncooperative, there may be a need to initiate a court action (called a CHIPS – Child in Need of Protection or Services) in order to get the family to comply with the goals in the plan that addresses any identified safety issues, permanency issues and the well-being of the children.


What is considered abuse and neglect in Minnesota?

Neglect is the most common form of maltreatment; Neglect is usually involves the failure of the child’s caregiver to:

  • Supply the child with necessary food, clothing, shelter, medical or mental health care, or appropriate supervision
  • Protect the child from conditions or actions that endanger the child

  • Take steps to ensure that a child is educated according to the law.

  • Exposing a child to certain drugs during pregnancy and causing emotional harm
    to a child may also be considered neglect.


Physical abuse is any physical injury or threat of harm or substantial injury, inflicted by a caregiver upon a
child other than by accidental means. The impact of physical abuse can range from minor bruises to severe internal injuries and death. Physical abuse does not include reasonable and moderate physical discipline of a child that does
not result in an injury.


Mental injury is harm to the child’s psychological capacity or emotional stability evidenced by an observable and substantial impairment of the child’s functioning. 


Sexual abuse is the subjection of a child to a criminal sexual act or threatened act by a person responsible for
the child’s care or by a person who has a significant relationship to the child or is in a position of authority.

If the child is in immediate danger, call 911 or your local police department. Anybody can make
a voluntary report of suspected child abuse or neglect if that person has reason to believe that a child has been mistreated. Others are mandated to report by statute. If you are unsure if you should make a report, call  Glenwood office at 320-634-7755 or Elbow Lake office at 218-685-8200 & ask for INTAKE or email  the fillable form.
The identity of the reporter is always kept confidential. 

If you want to make an immediate oral report of physical or sexual abuse, neglect or exploitation of a
child on Monday-Friday from 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM, call the below numbers a
nd ask for the intake worker.
You may also send an email to

If making a report by email, please include your contact information so you can be reached for clarifying questions or to
obtain needed information that may not be included in the email. After 4:00 PM on weekdays and on weekends,
please call 
the following to make a report:

LE = Law Enforcement

  • Grant County Sheriff’s Office:218-685-8280

  • Pope County Sheriff’s Office: 320-634-5411 

  • Glenwood Police Department: 320-634-4518


Vulnerable adult (VA) is a person 18 years of age or older who:

  • Is currently living in a residential facility (i.e. nursing home, hospital,
    Intermediate Care Facility/Developmental Disabilities (ICF/DD), adult foster care) 

  • Receives services in their home 

  • Requires help in caring for and protecting themselves

Adult maltreatment is:

  • Physical or emotional acts that harm or intend to harm

  • Words or gestures that harm or intend to harm

  • Forcing a vulnerable adult to perform services for the advantage of another

  • Not enough food, clothing, shelter, health care, or supervision

  • Unauthorized use of the vulnerable adult’s money or property

Disclaimer Note: The information contained in the following material is subject to change without notice. The content has been reviewed, but should in no way be interpreted as creating a legal or otherwise basis for the provision of a specific service to a specific family situation.

To Report Child Abuse or Neglect

211 East Minnesota Ave., Suite 200
Glenwood, MN 56334
1-800-291-2827 or (320) 634-7755

15 Central Ave N
Elbow Lake, MN 56531

1-800-291-2827 or (218) 685-8200

2-color icon.png
  • Starbuck Police Department: 320-239-2311

  • Traverse County Sheriff’s Office: 320-422-7800

  • Wheaton Police Department: 320-422-7700

To Report Adult Abuse or to make
a Vulnerable Adult report. 

Call 1-844-880-1574Mandated reporters can contact the Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center (MAARC)If the vulnerable adult is in immediate danger, call 911.

Veterans Crisis Line 
Connects Veterans in crisis and their families and friends with qualified, caring Department of
Veterans Affairs responders. 
1-800-273-8255 (press 1) or text to 838255.

wheat tilted.png
bottom of page