top of page

- Cash Assistance Programs -

These programs help individuals and families who meet program guidelines and whose income is not enough to meet basic needs.

Cash programs include: 
Diversionary Work Program (DWP) is a short term, work focused program for certain families with children.
It provides a maximum of four consecutive months of assistance in a twelve month period.

General Assistance (GA) provides a monthly cash assistance grant to people who cannot work
due to a disability, age, or illness.

Group Residential Housing (GRH) is a funding source to pay for room and board costs for persons living in certain group living arrangements. The person cannot be related to the individual providing care, and the home must have a GRH agreement with the county where it is located.

IV-E Foster Care pays for children in foster care placement whose families would qualify for a cash assistance program if the children were at home.

Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) is a combination of cash and food assistance for families whose income and assets are within program limits. It is a work focused program with a goal of helping families move toward being self-sufficient through employment. There is a sixty month life time limit for this program. Some exceptions may apply.

Minnesota Supplemental Assistance (MSA) is a monthly supplement to people over age 65, blind, or disabled who are receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) provides financial assistance to refugees who have been in the United States for eight months or less.

Apply for Cash Assistance

bottom of page